Friday, February 19, 2016

Bench Project

Before
BEFORE
AFTER
AFTER

The Bench Before...


Originally, this "bench" was actually a low set of drawers. I can't even remember where I got it. We used it as a piano bench for a while. My practical and handy Mom added the padded seat cushion and a matching pillow case  (centre pillow) for me, according to our old decor colours at the time. You can probably tell it was sometime in the 90's. Well, we finally got a proper piano bench, and the drawers spent some time in the basement.

The Bench Revisited...   


When we moved to our current home, this bench ended up in the mudroom. Aren't mudrooms great? It is a perfect place to transition from out to in and vice versa! The bench with drawers is so practical to store tote bags, picnic blankets and such, and it is a fine place to stop and put your shoes on or take off those mucky boots. I felt it was time to revive the decor, however, and I needed a crochet project, so it was makeover time!


Scrappy Steps.... 

     I chose a neutral colour scheme to allow it to go from season to season easily. Three shades of brown in a worsted weight acrylic yarn. Very durable. I had such fun with the "Scrappy Steps" meothod that I used for my scarf in the Jelly Bean Jar Game... Sort of blog post, that I decided to revisit that. It works up beautifully into any rectangular or square shape.  I just measured the top surface of the cushion and followed the scrappy steps directions until it was the size I wanted. Original Scrappy Steps (afghan) instructions are here.


Crochet Seat cover.
Seat Cover
Seat cushion from below. Non-slip!

Cushion Method...  

The cushion is about an inch thick, and squared off at the edges, so I did the cover with a squared edge. And I didn't to the underside, because my brilliant Mom had added a non-slip grip to the bottom, and I didn't want to cover that up.

To get a tailored look on the sides, there is 1 round of single crochet (SC) all around the perimeter of the seat piece (3 SC in each corner), and then 2 rounds of double crochet (DC) working the first round into the back loops of the SC round. That gives it a crisper edge. To keep things neat and tidy, I finished the edge with a crab stitch (reverse single crochet) all the way around in the unworked front loops of the SC edge row. That mad the tidy "piping" around the edge of the seat.




Pillow Method....

Scrappy Steps Pillow
Pillow - FRONT
Pillow - BACK
For the pillow cover, I measured the pillow form and made another "scrappy steps" square to size. I was ready for a new stitch by then, and needed an entry and exit for the pillow for washing, so I did 2 rectangles, sized so that when the overlapped slightly, they were the same size as the pillow front. I added buttons and button hole closures to offer a central closure that also became a feature of the design. I did a SC join to attach the front and back panels, and then did a second round in Crab Stitch to give it a coordinating look with the bench seat cover.

Voila!


Bench - Seat Cover and Pillow

No comments:

Post a Comment

BusyLizzy would love to hear from you!